Make a super yummy carrot cake this Easter!
- 175g dark brown sugar
- 175g caster sugar
- 150g softened butter (unsalted)
- 100g natural yoghurt
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1 1/2 teaspoons mixed spice
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3 medium-sized eggs
- 300g shredded carrots
- 3cm fresh ginger
- 180g self-raising flour (sifted)
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
For the Icing:
- 50g icing sugar
- 200g cream cheese
- 1 lime
- 100g walnuts
1) Heat oven to 170 degrees. Line bottom and sides of two 20 cm round springform pans with parchment paper, then lightly spray pan with cooking spray. Whisk butter (room temperature), yoghurt, caster and dark brown sugar, vanilla, cinnamon, mixed spice and salt. Add the eggs one at a time. Stir in the grated carrots and ginger. Use a spatula to fold in the sifted flour and baking soda.
2) Pour the mixture into the springform pans and bake for 55 minutes or until a skewer inserted into the centre comes out clean. If any wet mixture clings to the skewer, return to the oven for 5 mins and check again. Leave to cool in the tins for two hours.
3) To make the icing, beat the cream cheese, icing sugar and lime juice and zest together. Remove the cakes from the tins and sandwich together with half the icing. Top with the remaining icing and walnuts.
Freshly baked carrot cake will keep well for about 1 week in the fridge when properly stored.
Best eaten at room temperature.
This entry was posted in Recipes